I am transferring over all my old blog entries from myspace because I'm deleting my account on there. So...this is something I did February 12, 2009. I haven't re-read it since but I'm planning on answering the same questions again soon and then read to see how things have changed. Should be interesting...
February 12, 2009
15 Questions to Discover Your Life Purpose
The following are a list of questions that can assist you in discovering your purpose. They are meant as a guide to help you get into a frame of mind that will be conducive to defining your personal mission.
1. What makes you smile?
My nephew has made me see the innocence of life and no matter what he's doing I am smiling. I never knew it was possible to love somebody so much. I love sitting at the top of a mountain after a long hike and taking in the beauty. Some of the youtube videos make me burst out laughing when I just think about watching them. When I think about him loving me it makes me smile...and I smile even more when I think about loving him back. The way I feel after kickboxing or a hard workout is amazing. I smile every time my phone rings and it says "Jonah" on the caller ID. My dad makes me smile when I think about all the fun things we have done and all the amazing things he has taught me. Other things that make me smile: compliments on my drawings, when people ask if I've lost weight, when I get a good grade on an exam, when I think about having children someday, sitting on Lanikai beach soaking up the sunshine, good friends, running (after I'm done), a fun night out with the girls, good music, deep conversations about dreams and life aspirations, when my stomach doesn't hurt, when my mom and I are getting along, thinking about my grandpa, my niece (when I still saw her), genuinely nice people, doing something nice for somebody, interesting conversations with total strangers, family, flowers, rainbows, waterfalls on the Ko'olau's after a big rainstorm, beautiful sunsets, the moon....the list goes on.
2. What are your favorite things to do in the past?
What about now?I used to love spending hours in the sunshine...now I don't. I used to laugh when I saw people doing mean things...now I hate it. I used to love spending most nights in watching movies or relaxing...now I just get bored. I used to love doing anything as long as I was with him...now I need to be entertained. I used to love snowboarding...now I don't. Snowmobiling has always been fun. I used to hate being around little kids...now I love every second of it. I loved driving...now I'd rather ditch the car and ride a bike. I liked riding 4-wheelers...now they freak me out. I used to write poems...now I can't write one no matter how hard I try. In high school I couldn't wait to get drunk on the weekends...now I'd rather not. I used to love sleepovers...now I just love my own bed all to myself. My favorite thing of all time has always been the camping trip....always will be. 3. What activities make you lose track of time?My doodles...reading a good book...writing down all my thoughts and listening to some good tunes...talking to my best friends...homework...walking down the beach...writing the letters to people I never send...deep conversations with my mom...reading quotes and poetry and song lyrics...looking through old picture albums...listening to music....good conversation with...anyone really.
4. What makes you feel great about yourself?
Knowing that I'm going to have a 4 year degree when I'm 22 years old...helping people...making people laugh...learning new things at clinical...friends thanking me for being a good friend...people coming to me for advice...eating healthy...motivating others to do the things they want to do but are too scared to do without a little push...(This section was harder to fill in)
5. Who inspires you most? Which qualities inspire you, in each person?
Dad -- He's authoritative without being threatening or unreasonable. He never raises his voice or puts you down even when he's angry or thinks you're the biggest idiot in the world. He listens to all sides before forming an opinion. He tries to not talk bad about people and has an overal positive attitude about life. He has let me make my own mistakes and learn from them instead of telling me I'm doing the wrong thing. He is always there when somebody needs him...puts others needs in front of his own...and is always willing to help people out...even if they aren't very deserving of it.
Christina -- Happily married, amazing mother of two, and a full time student. Talk about hard work and dedication.Dave -- He's like a big teddy bear for anyone that needs a hug. He has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met and is an amazing person. His love for others and love for life shows every day. He's been through a lot of really hard times in his life and still puts a smile on his face.
6. What are you naturally good at?
Umm...ya this question has me stumped. Nothing comes to mind....school I guess?
7. What do people typically ask you for help in?
School...or health questions/problems...advice on guys/relationships.
8. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
Ewww...I don't know. Teaching doesn't sound like much fun. I'd probably want to teach a kindergarten class because the kids would be fun. Or a P.E. class...I would love that.
9. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?
Not having a family of my own...not loving with all of my heart....letting my fear hold me back from amazing opportunities...not letting the people I love in my life know that I love them and appreciate them...not eskydiving whenever I have the chance...not having enough nights out with amazing friends... Mostly I would regret living a boring life, being sucked into the routine of my everyday schedule. It's way too easy to get stuck in a rutt of boringness within your comfort zone. It's much easier said than done but I want to challenge myself, know that I did things that made me feel uncomfortable...I want to take advantage of great opportunities that come my way instead of turning them down out of fear. I don't want to be saying I wish I would have...
10. You are now 90 years old, sitting on a rocking chair outside your porch; you can feel the spring breeze gently brushing against your face. You are blissful and happy, and are pleased with the wonderful life you’ve been blessed with. Looking back at your life and all that you’ve achieved and acquired, all the relationships you’ve developed; what matters to you most? List them out.
My children...husband...grandchildren...(family)...knowing I have been true to myself and who I am...
11. What are your deepest values?
Integrity...Passion...Independence...Health
12. What were some challenges, difficulties and hardships you’ve overcome or are in the process of overcoming? How did you do it?
Losing my best friend. It's still a struggle...just not every day. I don't know how I have gotten to the point I am at today, I guess time heals right? I've been left with an intense fear of losing people I love and as a result I pull away as soon as I start to get close to somebody. It's easier to lose them now instead of 2 or 3 or 10 years down the road. Opening up to people is easy at first and then I close off again...the second I feel myself letting my secrets out. I trust few and I don't let anyone see all the skeletons in my closet. I am scared to death of driving on anything but dry asphalt and hitting snow or gravel brings instant tears to my eyes. The anxiety is actually getting worse and has impacted the things I do. There were 3 times this winter I turned down an invitation to go snowboarding because I was too scared to drive/ride on the snowy roads. Just the thought of losing someone I'm close to paralyzes me...all I can do is cry...and I start to second guess anything and everyone in my life. I question my purpose in life and all the relationships I have. I pull away from some of the people that care about me most but I don't know how to stop.
13. What causes do you strongly believe in? Connect with?
I don't really connect with anything in particular but I have a passion for helping people. My dream has always been to work as a volunteer nurse in Africa but I don't know how to make that possible. Someday I will :) My volunteer abroad this summer in Costa Rica was absolutely amazing and I would love to do more of this. I think the Peace Corps is a great organization that does a lot of really wonderful things for a lot of really deserving people. I think there are a lot of amazing and interesting people out there in this world and I would like to meet and help as many of them as possible.
14. If you could get a message across to a large group of people. Who would those people be? What would your message be?
I would want to talk to anyone and everyone. The message would be the importance of a positive attitude and the ways in which we shape are able to shape our lives. Talking bad about others or negative about our lives or other people's lives accomplishes nothing. Placing blame on others does nothing but waste time in solving whatever the problem may be. Life is hard...life is complicated and extremely unfair sometimes but we are all strong individuals that can overcome anything. What's done is done and there is no going back. Focus on the present and the future and things can and will turn around if you try to stay positive. Honesty is the key to life...be honest to not only others but to yourself. Be who you are and nothing but that. If you don't like the way things are going, change them...and yes...it is possible. It might not be easy but it is definitely possible. We shape the world with our thoughts and attitude...we can make it beautiful.
15. Who are you?
I am Amanda Marie Gneiting. I am strong and I am able to do anything in this world that I want to do. I am a girl that feels completely lost but more often feel that I am on the right path and know exactly where I want to go. I am happy...I am sad. I am a bit more selfish than I would like to be but am working on it. I don't always practice what I preach but I'm working on that too. I want nothing more than to be a genuinely good person and am also working on that. Sometimes I feel like my life sucks but I know it doesn't even come close to being bad in comparison to other people. I am blessed to have the family and friends that I do and to have had some of the opportunities that I have had. I will make a difference in this world...maybe not a big one but I will make a difference. I can guarantee you that. I am me...quiet...reserved...but I want nothing more than to escape to confines of myself. I have a lot to discover about myself...and life...and the world. Just give me some time...
My nephew has made me see the innocence of life and no matter what he's doing I am smiling. I never knew it was possible to love somebody so much. I love sitting at the top of a mountain after a long hike and taking in the beauty. Some of the youtube videos make me burst out laughing when I just think about watching them. When I think about him loving me it makes me smile...and I smile even more when I think about loving him back. The way I feel after kickboxing or a hard workout is amazing. I smile every time my phone rings and it says "Jonah" on the caller ID. My dad makes me smile when I think about all the fun things we have done and all the amazing things he has taught me. Other things that make me smile: compliments on my drawings, when people ask if I've lost weight, when I get a good grade on an exam, when I think about having children someday, sitting on Lanikai beach soaking up the sunshine, good friends, running (after I'm done), a fun night out with the girls, good music, deep conversations about dreams and life aspirations, when my stomach doesn't hurt, when my mom and I are getting along, thinking about my grandpa, my niece (when I still saw her), genuinely nice people, doing something nice for somebody, interesting conversations with total strangers, family, flowers, rainbows, waterfalls on the Ko'olau's after a big rainstorm, beautiful sunsets, the moon....the list goes on.
2. What are your favorite things to do in the past?
What about now?I used to love spending hours in the sunshine...now I don't. I used to laugh when I saw people doing mean things...now I hate it. I used to love spending most nights in watching movies or relaxing...now I just get bored. I used to love doing anything as long as I was with him...now I need to be entertained. I used to love snowboarding...now I don't. Snowmobiling has always been fun. I used to hate being around little kids...now I love every second of it. I loved driving...now I'd rather ditch the car and ride a bike. I liked riding 4-wheelers...now they freak me out. I used to write poems...now I can't write one no matter how hard I try. In high school I couldn't wait to get drunk on the weekends...now I'd rather not. I used to love sleepovers...now I just love my own bed all to myself. My favorite thing of all time has always been the camping trip....always will be. 3. What activities make you lose track of time?My doodles...reading a good book...writing down all my thoughts and listening to some good tunes...talking to my best friends...homework...walking down the beach...writing the letters to people I never send...deep conversations with my mom...reading quotes and poetry and song lyrics...looking through old picture albums...listening to music....good conversation with...anyone really.
4. What makes you feel great about yourself?
Knowing that I'm going to have a 4 year degree when I'm 22 years old...helping people...making people laugh...learning new things at clinical...friends thanking me for being a good friend...people coming to me for advice...eating healthy...motivating others to do the things they want to do but are too scared to do without a little push...(This section was harder to fill in)
5. Who inspires you most? Which qualities inspire you, in each person?
Dad -- He's authoritative without being threatening or unreasonable. He never raises his voice or puts you down even when he's angry or thinks you're the biggest idiot in the world. He listens to all sides before forming an opinion. He tries to not talk bad about people and has an overal positive attitude about life. He has let me make my own mistakes and learn from them instead of telling me I'm doing the wrong thing. He is always there when somebody needs him...puts others needs in front of his own...and is always willing to help people out...even if they aren't very deserving of it.
Christina -- Happily married, amazing mother of two, and a full time student. Talk about hard work and dedication.Dave -- He's like a big teddy bear for anyone that needs a hug. He has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met and is an amazing person. His love for others and love for life shows every day. He's been through a lot of really hard times in his life and still puts a smile on his face.
6. What are you naturally good at?
Umm...ya this question has me stumped. Nothing comes to mind....school I guess?
7. What do people typically ask you for help in?
School...or health questions/problems...advice on guys/relationships.
8. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
Ewww...I don't know. Teaching doesn't sound like much fun. I'd probably want to teach a kindergarten class because the kids would be fun. Or a P.E. class...I would love that.
9. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?
Not having a family of my own...not loving with all of my heart....letting my fear hold me back from amazing opportunities...not letting the people I love in my life know that I love them and appreciate them...not eskydiving whenever I have the chance...not having enough nights out with amazing friends... Mostly I would regret living a boring life, being sucked into the routine of my everyday schedule. It's way too easy to get stuck in a rutt of boringness within your comfort zone. It's much easier said than done but I want to challenge myself, know that I did things that made me feel uncomfortable...I want to take advantage of great opportunities that come my way instead of turning them down out of fear. I don't want to be saying I wish I would have...
10. You are now 90 years old, sitting on a rocking chair outside your porch; you can feel the spring breeze gently brushing against your face. You are blissful and happy, and are pleased with the wonderful life you’ve been blessed with. Looking back at your life and all that you’ve achieved and acquired, all the relationships you’ve developed; what matters to you most? List them out.
My children...husband...grandchildren...(family)...knowing I have been true to myself and who I am...
11. What are your deepest values?
Integrity...Passion...Independence...Health
12. What were some challenges, difficulties and hardships you’ve overcome or are in the process of overcoming? How did you do it?
Losing my best friend. It's still a struggle...just not every day. I don't know how I have gotten to the point I am at today, I guess time heals right? I've been left with an intense fear of losing people I love and as a result I pull away as soon as I start to get close to somebody. It's easier to lose them now instead of 2 or 3 or 10 years down the road. Opening up to people is easy at first and then I close off again...the second I feel myself letting my secrets out. I trust few and I don't let anyone see all the skeletons in my closet. I am scared to death of driving on anything but dry asphalt and hitting snow or gravel brings instant tears to my eyes. The anxiety is actually getting worse and has impacted the things I do. There were 3 times this winter I turned down an invitation to go snowboarding because I was too scared to drive/ride on the snowy roads. Just the thought of losing someone I'm close to paralyzes me...all I can do is cry...and I start to second guess anything and everyone in my life. I question my purpose in life and all the relationships I have. I pull away from some of the people that care about me most but I don't know how to stop.
13. What causes do you strongly believe in? Connect with?
I don't really connect with anything in particular but I have a passion for helping people. My dream has always been to work as a volunteer nurse in Africa but I don't know how to make that possible. Someday I will :) My volunteer abroad this summer in Costa Rica was absolutely amazing and I would love to do more of this. I think the Peace Corps is a great organization that does a lot of really wonderful things for a lot of really deserving people. I think there are a lot of amazing and interesting people out there in this world and I would like to meet and help as many of them as possible.
14. If you could get a message across to a large group of people. Who would those people be? What would your message be?
I would want to talk to anyone and everyone. The message would be the importance of a positive attitude and the ways in which we shape are able to shape our lives. Talking bad about others or negative about our lives or other people's lives accomplishes nothing. Placing blame on others does nothing but waste time in solving whatever the problem may be. Life is hard...life is complicated and extremely unfair sometimes but we are all strong individuals that can overcome anything. What's done is done and there is no going back. Focus on the present and the future and things can and will turn around if you try to stay positive. Honesty is the key to life...be honest to not only others but to yourself. Be who you are and nothing but that. If you don't like the way things are going, change them...and yes...it is possible. It might not be easy but it is definitely possible. We shape the world with our thoughts and attitude...we can make it beautiful.
15. Who are you?
I am Amanda Marie Gneiting. I am strong and I am able to do anything in this world that I want to do. I am a girl that feels completely lost but more often feel that I am on the right path and know exactly where I want to go. I am happy...I am sad. I am a bit more selfish than I would like to be but am working on it. I don't always practice what I preach but I'm working on that too. I want nothing more than to be a genuinely good person and am also working on that. Sometimes I feel like my life sucks but I know it doesn't even come close to being bad in comparison to other people. I am blessed to have the family and friends that I do and to have had some of the opportunities that I have had. I will make a difference in this world...maybe not a big one but I will make a difference. I can guarantee you that. I am me...quiet...reserved...but I want nothing more than to escape to confines of myself. I have a lot to discover about myself...and life...and the world. Just give me some time...

No comments:
Post a Comment